Arisi paruppu sadam, a special dish from Kongu Nadu, is a healthy dal rice which is simple & divine! Kongu cuisine is very unique and I was totally awed when Chef Jacob had a tv cooking show which featured many kongu special episodes…
Arisi paruppu sadam is like the most popular of all, an easy one to make for kids, also a perfect one pot dish to make on busy days. This dish is extremely popular among vegetarians who hail from Coimbatore / kovai area. Its something similar to our thalitha paruppu sadam or toor dal khichdi but has extra seasoning added..I got super tempted to try when i saw kongu style thali pictured in Menaga’s blog. Typical kongu village style sadam calls for puzhungal arisi (par- boiled rice), I’ve used samba arisi… you may pick any pachai arisi like sona masoori or ponni too. Here is how I made this dish
Some recipes to try…
- Rice 1 cup Tood dal / Thuvaram paruppu 1/4 cup
- Onion (preferably sambar onions) 3/4 cup (chopped)
- Tomato 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Garlic 6 (lightly crushed)
- Sambar powder 1 teaspoon (optional) * see notes
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds 3/4 teaspoon
- Dry Red Chili 3
- Asafoetida 1/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves 10 leaves
- Coriander leaves 2 tablespoons (chopped)
- Salt 2 teaspoons(or to taste)
- Oil 2 tablespoons
- Ghee 2 tablespoons
- Water 3 & 1/2 cups
Lets see how to make this Arisi Paruppu Sadam
Take rice and toor dal / thuvaram paruppu in a bowl. I have used seeraga samba rice , you can use any rice – short grain rice like pachai arisi / sona masoori / seeraga samba suits for this recipe.
In a pressure cooker pan- heat oil and splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chilies and some curry leaves. Sprinkle the asafoetida powder/hing.
Add chopped onion and garlic. Fry them till translucent.
Add in the chopped tomatoes, let them get lightly mushy.
Add in turmeric powder and mix.
Add in sambar powder – any brand or simple homemade is fine. (See notes) Adding sambar powder is optional. Gives nice flavor to the paruppu sadam. Play with it try different sambar powder for variety.
Wash the soaked rice and dal and drain all the water. Add the rice and paruppu/ dal tot he onion tomato mixture.
Mix well to blend it with the onion mixture.
Add the given measure water. (For mushy consistency add 3&1/2 cup water – For grainy texture rice add 2 & 3/4 cup water)
Add salt at this stage and pressure cook for up to 3 whistles.
Once the steam settles, remove the lid and drizzle melted ghee over the top.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves. Lightly mix and serve hot.
- Serves 2 – 3 adults
- Serve hot plain or with papad or any curry.
- Sambar powder is optional – if you skip add in little crushed black pepper, jeera and add in 2 green chilies for heat.
- If making it for kids then skip sambar powder and make it plain.
- Rice consistency – Normally paruppu sadham should be of mushy consistency, if you prefer grainy rice then cut down on the water measure. Use about 2 & 3/4 cup water.
- This rice gets very thick and dense after sometime. Serve hot or if reheating sprinkle little water and warm it up in microwave.
- Ghee is a must for this recipe, drizzle just before serving too.
ARISI PARUPPU SADAM RECIPE / ARISIYUM PARUPPU SADHAM / DAL RICE RECIPE / KONGU CUISINE / KONGU NADU CUISINE / COIMBATORE ARISI PARUPPU SADAM / KOVAI SPECIAL / HOW TO MAKE ARISI PARUPPU SADAM / VEGETARIAN RECIPES / RICE DISHES / VARIETY RICE / PARUPPU SADAM / KIDS RECIPES / அரிசி பருப்பு சாதம் / EASY DAL RICE RECIPE / FESTIVE RECIPES / EASY RECIPES / ONE POT RECIPES / PRESSURE COOKER DAL RICE RECIPE / PARUPPU SADHAM RECIPE