Palak Chapathi- home style flat bread made with spinach / palak leaves and spices.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 10 chapathi
- 2 cups whole wheat flour / godhumai maavu
- 2 cups spinach leaves / palak leaves / pasalai keerai chopped, tightly packed
- 2 teaspoon ginger minced or grated
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 pinch amchur powder / mango powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup water (plus a little more for kneading)
- 2 tablespoon melted ghee or oil for toasting
- 1/4 cup flour (wheat or maida) for dusting and rolling
Heat oil in a tawa and season with cumin seeds.
Add in chopped spinach leaves along with minced ginger, pinch of sugar and salt. Saute for few minutes until the leaves wilt a bit. Switch off and let it cool for sometime.
Meanwhile sieve whole wheat flour with little salt
Add the sauteed spinach mix along with red chilli powder, amchur powder and garam masala powder.
Mix well with your fingers, add water little by little to make a soft dough.
Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and rest for atleast 30 to 45 minutes.
Make lemon size balls... roughly will yield 10 (6 inch diameter) chapathis.
Roll out to 1/8 inch thickness
Cook about 1 minute over high flame on either side or until you see brown spots.
Apply oil or ghee when done and remove from pan.
Serve hot with choice of curry or with simple plain yogurt!