Nandu Masala -simple home style crab masala made with blue crabs.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Ingredients - for masala paste
- 3/4 cup coconut grated
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds/ kasa kasa
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds / sombu
- 1 each cardamom
- 4 each cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup water
Ingredients - for masala
- 10 each blue crab / nandu
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato chopped
- 6 each baby onions / sambar vengayam
- 2 long green chilli
- 1 tablespoon ginger crushed
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder hot variety
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder /malli thool
- 1.5 teaspoon crystal salt / kallu uppu kosher
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 6 each curry leaves
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves for garnish
- 5 each curry leaves for garnish
Grind all ingredients listed under first list - coconut, poppy seeds, black peppercorns, fennel seeds, cardamom, cloves & cinnamon with water to make a thick paste. Keep this aside.
Heat coconut oil in a pan and season with cumin seeds and curry leaves.
Saute regular onions and baby onions along with green chilli, crushed ginger and garlic until lightly translucent.
Add in chopped tomatoes and saute along until soft.
Now add in turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander and salt. Fry the masala powder really well until the leaves oil.
Add cleaned crab pieces and mix to coat the masala all over.
Cook the crab for roughly 3 minutes until it partially cooks...
Now add in the ground masala paste and cook further for another 3 to 5 minutes until the crab cooks thoroughly.
As you cook, the masala thickens to a semi solid. Check for salt and add if needed.
Switch off and garnish with chopped coriander and curry leaves.