Vankaya Batani Vepudu is one scrumptious Andhra Style vegetable dry curry. Its their specialty to include either one or multiple legume in simple vegetable dry curries making it highly nutritious.
|1/4 cup||Dried green peas|
|1 large||Egg plant (long) or 2 cups chopped|
|1 cup||Onion (cut lengthwise thinly)|
|3 spicy||Green chili (finely chopped)|
|4 cloves||Garlic (crushed)|
|1 inch||Ginger (crushed)|
|1/4 teaspoon||Turmeric powder|
|2 teaspoons||Coriander powder|
|1/2 teaspoon||Red chili powder|
|1/4 teaspoon||Cumin seeds|
|6 leaves||Curry leaves|
|1/4 teaspoon||Mustard seeds|
|1 teaspoon||Salt (or to taste)|
|2 tablespoons||Coriander leaves (chopped )|
Lets see how to make this vankaya batani vepudu…
- Soak Dry Green Peas in water for 6 hours or overnight.
- Next day you can either cook over stove top by boiling them for 30 minutes covered or until they become slightly soft on the inside and firm on the outside.
- I usually pressure cook up to one whistle and switch off.
- Cut onions lengthwise, if using long brinjals… cut them lengthwise and quarter them for regular brinjals. (Do this chopping just before you add it the pan to avoid discoloration)
- Heat oil in pan, splutter mustard, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Fry onions and green chilies for few minutes or until translucent.
- Now add brinjal pieces along with ginger and garlic.
- Keep frying till the flesh gets softened.
- Now add turmeric, red chili power, coriander powder and salt.
- Cook for another 5 minutes over low flame till the oil separates.
- At this stage add the cooked green peas (draining all water) and toss gently without breaking them.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve as a side for rice.
- You can use any variety Brinjal or Eggplant.., white, green, purple or pink. Choose a variety of sundal like dried peas, split peas, black eyed peas, garbanzo…usually green or yellow variety suits well for this recipe.
- Recipe Courtesy: Thanks to Mrs. Padmaja Chalasani for sharing this recipe.
- Thanks to S. Priya and Kavi Arun for sharing recipe for Microwave appalams, final curry displayed over a microwave appalam, which stayed pretty crisp even after keeping the wet curry over it. My guests enjoyed this new curry with style.
- Yield : Serves 4 approx.