1 cup Basmati rice
5 nos Tomatoes (ripe and juicy)
1 cup shredded coconut or 1/2 cup coconut milk
1 no Onion
3 nos Bay leaves
2 nos Cloves
2 nos Cardamon
2 nos Cinnamon sticks
6 mint leaves
1/4 cup green peas
2 stks Coriander leaves
1 tsp Salt (or to taste)
6 tsp Oil
10 cashew nuts
3 green chillies
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp biriyani masala
- Take 1 cup basmati rice and soak in water for 1 hour.
- Take 5 tomatoes and cut them, take 1 cup shredded coconut or 1/2 cup tomato milk and make a paste in the mixie.Take a filter, the ones we use for filtering fruit pulp, and filter the tomato-coconut pulp in it and measure the filtered water.
- Now heat the oil in a pan, fry the cloves, cardamon, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, and cashew nuts.
- Then add the cut onions and fry till they turn to golden color. Add the garam masala, biryani powder, cut green chillies, green peas, mint leaves and salt and fry the whole mix.
- Add the soaked rice to it, after filtering the water and fry for 2-3 mins.
- Then finally add the tomato-coconut water to the rice, mix well and transfer the contents to a pressure cooker/ric cooker.
- Now you have to add the rest of the water for cooking the rice accordingly, if your tomato-coconut water is 1 cup, add 1 more cup of water to the 1 cup rice you are cooking.
- You can check the salt now by tasting the water mixed in the rice, this way you can add more salt if needed (my little trick ).
- Add the corriander leaves on top, close the lid and cook.
- Once ready serve it with curd raita or potato kurma and njoy the yummy tomato-coconut rice.
Please let me know your comments on this.