Tandoori cauliflower Biryani is a fusion dish made with pan roasted cauliflower coated with tandoori masala mixed with leftover cooked basmati rice. It just so happened one evening when i was planning on a lunch box! Many have requested for a recipe and hence sharing a quick one here.. no step-wise pics but will update when i make the next time 🙂
Complete collection of BIRYANI here
- Cooked Basmati Rice – 4 cups
- Onion – 1 cup (sliced)
- Green Chili – 4
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Tomato – 1/4 cup
- Yogurt – 1 tablespoon
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 3/4 teaspoon (or to taste)
- Mint leaves – a few
- Coriander leaves – a few
- Ghee- 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 2 Tablespoons
Ingredients for the Cauliflower Fry
- Cauliflower florets – 10
- Store Bought Tandoori Masala – 1 teaspoon (used kissan brand)
- Store bought Bhajji Bonda Mix Powder – 1/4 cup
- Corn flour – 1 teaspoon
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1/4 teaspoon
- Red Chili powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – a little (only if needed, mix already includes salt)
- Water – 3 tablespoons
- Oil – 1/4 cup (for shallow fry)
Lets see how to make this Tandoori Cauliflower Biryani…
- Make a paste combining tandoori masala, bhajji bonda mix, corn flour, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, salt and water. Coat the cauliflower with this paste. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a fry pan and shallow fry the coated cauliflower until lightly crisp. Remove from and pan keep it aside.
- Now heat oil in another pan, season with cumin seeds. Fry the onions & green chillies till brown and crisp. Throw in few mint and coriander leaves at this stage. Add in ginger garlic paste and saute well. Add in the tomato along with yogurt and saute until it becomes mushy. Add in the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt. You will be sauteing this until the mixture turns dry… more like a dry mixture.
- Now add the cooked basmati rice to this and mix to combine. Add in the shallow fried cauliflower, a little mint and coriander leaves along with a drizzle of ghee. Cover the pan with a lid and bring the flame to the lowest setting…cook for 10 minutes and switch off.
- You may drizzle ghee again if you like and its all ready to be served.
- 2 Adult servings
- You may use whole garma masala or ground masala powder.
- Any cooked rice works but basmati suits well.
- Ihave used store bought Tandoori and bahjji mix which i always keep handy at home… if you don’t have one, Get one pls!
- Use 2 tablespoon garam flour + 1 teaspoon rice flour for the bhajji mix. (adjust salt and chilli powder accordingly)
- Quick Tandoori Masala Powder – include Garam Masala Powder + Food Color + Kashmir Red Chilli powder