Tandoori cauliflower Biryani is a fusion dish made with pan roasted cauliflower coated with tandoori masala mixed with leftover cooked basmati rice. It just so happened one evening when i was planning on a lunch box! Many have requested for a recipe and hence sharing a quick one here.. no step-wise pics but will update when i make the next time 🙂 updated!
You may either shallow fry or bake in the oven @350 F for total of 20 to 25 minutes turning once. It’s time consuming hence shallow frying😃
Complete collection of BIRYANI here
Tandoori Cauliflower Biryani
Ingredients for Masala and Layering
- 4 cups Cooked Basmati rice
- 1 cup Onion sliced
- 4 each Green Chilli
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic paste
- 1/4 cup Tomato
- 1 tablespoon Yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon Biryani Masala / Garam Masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup Mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon Ghee
- 2 tablespoons Oil
Ingredients for Cauliflower Fry
- 15 florets Cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon Tandoori Masala powder store bought (used kissin masala)
- 1/4 cup Bhajji Bonda mix store bought (used aachi masala)
- 1/4 teaspoon Ginger Garlic paste
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt (only if needed) store bought mix includes salt
- 3 tablespoon Water
- 1/2 cup Oil for deep frying
- Make a paste combining tandoori masala, bhajji bonda mix, corn flour, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, salt and water.
- Coat the cauliflower with this paste. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a fry pan and shallow fry the coated cauliflower until lightly crisp. Remove from and pan keep it aside.
- Now heat oil in another pan, season with cumin seeds. Fry the onions & green chillies till brown and crisp. Throw in few mint and coriander leaves at this stage. Add in ginger garlic paste and saute well. Add in the tomato along with yogurt and saute until it becomes mushy.
- Add in the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt. You will be sauteing this until the mixture turns dry... more like a dry mixture.served.
- Now add the cooked basmati rice to this and mix to combine. Alternately you may layer the rice with masala. Add in the shallow fried cauliflower, a little mint and coriander leaves along with a drizzle of ghee.
- Cover the pan with a lid and bring the flame to the lowest setting...cook for 10 minutes and switch off.
- Drizzle ghee again if you like and its all ready to be served.
Lets see how to make this Tandoori Cauliflower Biryani…
- 2 Adult servings
- You may use whole garma masala or ground masala powder.
- Any cooked rice works but basmati suits well.
- Ihave used store bought Tandoori and bahjji mix which i always keep handy at home… if you don’t have one, Get one pls!
- Use 2 tablespoon garam flour + 1 teaspoon rice flour for the bhajji mix. (adjust salt and chilli powder accordingly)
- Quick Tandoori Masala Powder – include Garam Masala Powder + Food Color + Kashmir Red Chilli powder