ROSE MILK RECIPE / HOMEMADE ROSE SYRUP RECIPE / HOW TO MAKE ROSE SYRUP? / HOW TO MAKE ROSE MILK USING ROSE ESSENCE? / ROSE MILKSHAKE RECIPE / SUMMER DRINKS / KIDS RECIPES / SUMMER COOLERS / MILKSHAKE RECIPES / ROSE MILK USING HOMEMADE ROSE SYRUP / ROSE FLAVOR MILKSHAKE RECIPE / PANEER ROJA / SIMPLE SYRUP RECIPE / KAALATHI KADAI ROSE MILK / ROSE MILK SYRUP RECIPES / ROSE FLAVORED SYRUP / HOMEMADE ROSE SYRUP
Rose Milk is a famous summer milk shake made with rose syrup and chilled milk. As a kid I must have had this many hundred times during my summer vacations. I’ve always liked the one which they sell at Mylapore “Kaalathi Kadai”near Kapaleeshwarar temple, which in my opinion is the best of all the milkshakes! They use simple homemade syrup and mix right in front of you before they serve! They also sell big bottles of their signature rose milk syrups and we at home use to enjoy whenever we can during hot summer months. Making the syrup from fresh rose “Paneer roja”will be the ultimate but unfortunately we longer see that kind of roses…. I’ve tried my version with store bought rose essence using “Simple Syrup Recipe”which can be used for any kind of flavor depending on the essence that you put in. A glassful of this homemade rose milk on a hot summer day is heaven for me, how about you??
|Ingredients for Simple Syrup – Rose Flavor|
|Pink Food Color||5 drops|
|Rose Essence||1 Teaspoon|
|Ingredients for Rose Milk (Single serving)|
|Simple Syrup – Rose flavor||1 Tablespoon|
|Chilled Milk (preferably full fat)||1 cup|
|Ice cubes||3 to 4|
How to make simple syrup?
Its always one part sugar with one part water- that’s the basic but if you prefer thick syrup with more sweetness then add extra 1/4 cup sugar. Heat 1 cup sugar mixed with 1 cup water in a heavy sauce pan. Let the sugar melt in water over low flame. Bring the flame to medium and bring it to a boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes. By this time the syrup will thicken and when you touch the syrup it will be sticky. We don’t need any string consistency but one step before that where the syrup forms a light sticky string when tested between your forefinger and thumb. (No string consistency required)
Once it reaches the desired consistency switch off and let the syrup cool a bit. Now add the pink food color followed by the rose essence. Mix well and again let it cool completely. Your basic rose syrup is ready, which can be stored in a clean bottle. Refrigeration not required but preferred if you plan to keep for long time.
How to make Rose Milk?
In a small tumbler/ glass, add 1 tablespoon of rose syrup along with 3-4 ice cubes and add chilled milk. Mix well and serve immediately. Add more syrup if necessary.
- Always use boiled and chilled milk for this recipe.
- I’ve used 2% milk for my recipe but full fat milk preferred for a thick rich milkshake.
- Rose water is different from Rose essence, taste will differ quite a bit. I’ve used rose essence which is concentrated and we need only little. If using rose water then we may need more. (Got mine from local Indian store)
- Pink food color used for this recipe can be gel or liquid. I didn’t find liquid so had to go with gel. Adjust accordingly. I got mine from Amazon Wilton Gel Food Coloring. Add more drops of the gel for dark pink shade.
- Rose syrup can be refrigerated for few months. The above measure can make only 5-6 glasses of rose milk (approx)
- Always serve chilled!