This is a kind of chettinadu dish which is the substitute for our Rasam, this dish is mainly made with kalani thanni.
Kalani thaneer – 2 cups (water which is soaked and drained from uncooked-rice)
tamarind paste – 3 spoons
crushed tomato – 5 spoons
onion – 1 no (cut it into small pieces)
salt – as required
oil – 2 tblspn
mustard – 1/2 tspn
split urad dal – 1/2 tspn
methi seeds – 1/2 tspn
dry red chilli’s – 3 nos
curry leaves – 5 nos
Asafoetida – 1/4 tbspn
1. Heat oil and season it using mustard, uradal, methi, asafoetida, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
2. Add cut onions into that seasoning and saute till onion becomes light brown and keep aside.
3. In another vessel, take 2 cups of kalani thaneer, crushed tomato and tamarind paste and mix well with salt.
4. Now mix the sauted onion with seasoning with the above content and allow it to cook in a medium flame.
5. Do not boil more the saaru…turn-off the gas after bubbles has come.
6. Finally garnish with cilantro leaves.