Paruppu Rasam – Dal rasam Recipe – How to make south Indian Paruppu Rasam – Milagu Jeera Garlic Paruppu rasam – any south indian meal will be incomplete without simple rasam, a tamarind base soupy dish. Every family has its own way of making it… today i will be sharing our way of making paruppu rasam. This rasam can be as simple as just dal water with seasoning or take variation with little elaborate preparations with few more additions.
Ingredients - for tempering
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 each Dry red chilli
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida
- 4 each Curry leaves
Ingredients - for dal /paruppu
- 1/4 cup Toor dal / Pigeon peas / Thuvaram paruppu
- 1.5 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
Ingredients - for fresh rasam masala
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Black peppercorns
Ingredients - for rasam
- 1/2 cup Tomatoes
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 each Green Chilli
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Jaggery
- 1 marble size Tamarind
- 1 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Salt kallu uppu /crystal salt
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves chopped
- 5 each Curry leaves chopped
- Pressure cook toor dal with enough water and turmeric to a soft mushy consistency and keep aside.
- Make a coarse powder of cumin and black peppercorns.
- Crush garlic, chop tomatoes, soak tamarind in little water and get the thick extract and keep them ready.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan and do the seasoning with mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds cumin seeds, dry red chilli, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Saute tomatoes, crushed garlic and green chillies until soft.
- Add in jaggery, salt, powdered cumin black peppercorns, tamarind extract, cooked dal, water & coriander stalks. Bring it to a boil.
- Switch off and garnish with chopped coriander and curry leaves.
Prep work – Soak dal for 30 minutes. Pressure cook with turmeric and water for 3 to 4 whistles or untils oft. When done, mash it well and keep it aside. Here is a post to cook TOOR DAL IN AN INSTANT POT
Heat oil and ghee in a pan. Try our LONG PEPPER / THIPPILI RASAM
When the oil gets hot add the thalippu / seasoning….mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chilli and asafoetida.
Now followed by turmeric powder, green chillies, crushed garlic and tomatoes.
Saute and cook till the tomatoes get really mushy.
Now add in freshly crushed cumin & black peppercorns, salt and tiny piece of jaggery.
Add in tamarind extract to it. (it is not customary to add tamarind in paruppu rasam in some households, instead they use more tomatoes)
Followed by cooked thuvaram paruppu / toor dal
Add in little water to dilute to desired consistency.
Throw in the stocks of coriander at this stage reserve the leaves for later. (coriander steams are packed with nutrition, do not discard use them too)
Let his come to a boil…keep the flame at medium high.
When it comes to first boil switch off!
Now generously garnish with chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves.
There you go… suda suda paruppu rasam.
Top it over rice and serve with simple appalam!
- You can make this rasam with just paruppu thanni (dal water) or with thick dal.
- The consistency and color varies with how much dal you add to the rasam.
- Some add rasam powder to make it more flavorful… but in our house we never add any rasam powder, a simple crushed milagu, jeeragam, garlic will do the trick.