Mullangi Modhai– “Modhai” refers to chunky curry in our family… we make this thick curry with veggies like Radish, Chow chow, Bottle gourd, Pumpkin, mixed veggies too. This curry goes well as a side for chapati or sadam topped with either puli kuzhambu, sambar or rasam. I enjoy these curries with thayir sadham too. Today i will sharing this favorite curry of mine using #radish / #daikon / #mullangi ……
Try a similar curry recipe SORAKKAI MASALA CURRY
- Mullangi / Radish -2 cups (diced)
- Onion – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Green Chili – 1
- Tomato – 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch (crushed)
- Garlic – 4 cloves (crushed, skin on)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Red Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Mustard seed – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Split black gram – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1+ 1/4 teaspoon (or to taste)
- Curry leaves – 3
- Coriander leaves – a few for garnish
- Water – 1 cup
Lets see how to make this Mullangi Modhai….
Heat oil in a pressure cooker… temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, split black gram and few curry leaves. Add in asafoetida powder too. Try this MIXED VEGETABLE CURRY
Lightly saute the onion, ginger, garlic, tomato, radish with turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt.
Cover with the lid and cook upto 2 whitsles. You can cook covered with in a regular pan too for about 20 minutes.
Once done, the radish cookd thoroughly and mixture will look little watery. Just simmer until its thicken a bit… and then switch off! Some Chunky curry recipes to try DRUMSTICK CURRY
Add in grated coconut and garnish with curry and coriander leaves. Try our ASPARAGUS PEPPER CURRY
The masala will look kind of chunky… goes well with chapati or with regular rasam or sambar sadam. Suits more with puli kuzhambu or kara kuzhambu. Try our KOTHU CAULIFLOWER CURRY
- Serves 3 to 4
- You may add a few tiny shrimp or prawns to make a non veg version.
- Temper with coconut oil for extra flavor.
Our meal on one of those veg days looked like this…..
Rice served with kara kuzhambu, mullangi modhai, coin potato fry with yogurt & appalam!