|1 T||Gingelly oil|
|1 pinch||Mustard seeds|
|1 pinch||Fennel seeds (perum serakam)|
|1 no||Medium size onion (finely chopped)|
|6 nos||Green chili (finely chopped)|
|5 nos||Curry leaves (chopped)|
|5 clove||Garlic (chopped)|
|¼ tsp||Black pepper powder|
|1½ tsp||Chilli powder (coarsely ground one)|
|½ tsp||Meat curry powder (optional)|
|1 pinch||Cumin seed powder|
|2 cup||Canned mackerel hash|
|1 cup||Frozen vegetables|
|Salt for taste|
|1 tsp||Lime juice or for ur taste|
Drain the sauce from fish tin; remove the skin & bones as well. Scramble and keep it aside.
Microwave the frozen vegetables for 3 mins in medium and keep aside. Heat oil, splutter mustard, and fennel seeds. Add the chopped onions, green chili, curry leaves and garlic. Fry these till it turns light brown and then add the frozen vegetables. Sauté for a couple of mins and add fish hash. Add salt, cumin seed powder & pepper powder and fry for 5 minutes over medium flame. Once the fish cooked well, add the curry powder & chilli powder and fry for few more mins. Add lime and saute for a min. Serve hot.
- It can be made with boiled fish as well.
- Clean and boil the fish with salt and a pinch of turmeric powder. Drain the water once the fish cooked well. Scramble and use it.
- As far as I know you can use many fish for this varai. I am a Mackerel fan so I end up using canned mackerel.
- Canned Tuna flakes can be used to make this as well.
- It can be kept in fridge for a week.
- Reduce or increase the amount of chilli powder for your taste.
- A chopped tomato can be sauted along with onions & etc.
Few Recipes Using This Mixed Fish Varai:
- You can use it to make fish fried rice OR noodles.
- Can be used as sandwich filling OR just as a side for breads.
- A boiled potato can be mixed with this and used as masala for masala thosai for different taste. (Thats how amma made us to eat fish)
Whoever thinks canned fish not healthy can avoid this recipe rather than posting negative comments that discourage us.