This weekend I get to prepare my favorite lunch combo…..Meen kuzhambu, Cabbage Kootu with Meen Varuval. I have always loved winter, snow and all… but this year it seems to be extra long and tiresome. I was longing for some spicy fish kuzhambu with fresh King fish varuval but this week has been very hectic with “this & that” and I was in no mood to go to the fish market. So skipped my usual Chinese Market shopping routine and decided to prepare some spicy fish kuzhambu with frozen tilapia fillets!
I hope these colorful images will cheer you on a cold winter’ssssss day (as we receive yet more snow overnight…arrgghhhhh)
This is what I prepared
Milagu Appalam- Lijjat Papad / White Rice / Plain Yogurt
1. Soak tamarind in water & also soak Moong dal for kootu.
2. Start defrosting your fish fillet… , defrost your coconut if using frozen.
3. Lets get the chopping block and minced onions, garlic, tomatoes…. shred cabbage , chop the kothavaranga into bite size pieces. Chop coriander leaves for garnish.
4. Prepare your masala paste for meen kuzhambu (grind the masala and keep ready)
5. In one burner start with rasam…. quickly get the tempering done add the tomatoes and freshly ground pepper masala. Add the tamarind water and cilantro. When it starts to boil, switch off. On the other start saueting onions and masala for meen kuzhambu, add tamarind water and all masala powders. Add the fish and let it simmer.
6. While this is simmering, coat the fish with masala powders and fry.
7. Now in a pressure pan, just do the tempering just add the soaked moong dal, shredded cabbage with onion, garlic, green chili , spice powders, salt and water. Let it pressure cook for upto 2 whistles, once done garnish with coconut and finish.
8. Finally coming to kothavaranga poriyal… boil the veggie in water and keep aside. Just temper, saute onions and garlic and cooked veggie. When done garnish with coconut and curry leaves and finish.
9. Set the rice in your pressure cooker or rice cooker , let it do its job while you clean up the kitchen.
10. Frying papad is optional, just look for a bag of lays potato chips instead! Oh… did you make yogurt??? Its too late now just skip or let your hubby make a trip to the grocery store!
Now, who’s ready for lunch??