Kohlrabi Chicken Kurma– a coconut based gravy where chicken cooked with goodness of kohlrabi / knol khol /noolkol. This has been a family tradition … combining veggies with non veg and this is one such gravy that we make at home… you can call it kuzhambu or kurma… goes well with rice, idli dosa and as well as chapati poori…. goodness of both covered!
We have a nice collection of kurma recipes in our page… try it
- Chicken – 1/2 kg ( red meat with bones)
- Kohlrabi / Noolkol – 1 (whole ) (cut into pieces)
- Onion – 1 cup (chopped)
- Green Chilli – 1 (slit open)
- Ginger Garlic paste – 2 teaspoons
- Tomato – 1/4 cup
- Whole garam masala – 1 bay leaf, 2 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick, 2 cardamom
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 2 teaspoons
- Salt – 1 & 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste)
- Mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- Coriander leaves – a few
- Curry leaves – a few optional
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Ghee – 1 teaspoon
Ingredients for the paste
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cashews – 3
- Poppy seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 1/4 cup
Lets see how to make this Kohlrabi chicken kurma….
In a pressure cooker pan… heat oil & little ghee
Add in bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom along with cumin and fennel seeds. let them sizzle a bit.
Add in chopped onion along with green chilli and ginger garlic paste. Saute well.. till the onion turn lightly crispy.
Now add in chicken and kohlrabi along with turmeric powder and little salt. Saute well.
Followed by tomatoes and chopped mint leaves. Le them cook till the tomatoes get lightly mushy.
Now comes in all the powders… red chili powder, coriander powder and rest of the salt. Try our CHETTINAD VEG VELLAI KURMA
Add about 2 cups water and bring it to a boil.
Now put the lid on and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Try our PAKODA KURMA
When the pressure releases… the veggie and chicken gets cooked tender but firm. Try our humble POTATO KURMA
Simmer the gravy… add in the ground coconut cashew khus khus paste and cook over low flame for few minutes.
Let it simmer over low flame… do not increase the flame, the oil will slowly start to separate to the top, switch off and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serves 3 to 4
- Adding mint leaves gives nice flavor…
- You may substitute with kohlrabi wtih chayote or bottle gourd.
- We also make the same version with prawn and veggie combo.