Keerai Sambar recipe – south indian sambar recipes, easy keerai sambar recipe, keerai sambar with step wise pictures, easy sambar recipe – yet another family favorite that we make often at home, each time i use a different keerai for variations. Mostly its made with Amaranth varieties but i do use spinach at times which also suits for this recipe.
Ingredients – for saute
- 1/2 cup Toordal / Thuvaram paruppu
- 2 cups Amaranth greens chopped,tightly packed
- 1 cup Onions chopped
- 1/2 each Tomato
- 1 each Green chilli
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon Sambar powder (or use kuzhambu thool )
- 1.5 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind extract gooseberry size soaked in water
Ingredients – to temper
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 3 small Dry red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida
- 5 each Curry leaves
- Pressure cook toor dal with 2 cups of water for 3 to 4 whistles and then mash well and keep aside.
- Extract tamarind juice by soaking it in warm water for 15 mins.
- Clean the greens by rinsing in cold water and then chop it roughly and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and temper with all the ingredients from table-2 dry red chilli, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Saute onions and greens until it gets translucent. Followed by chopped tomatoes.
- Add in the tamarind extract followed by cooked toor dal, turmeric powder, sambar powder and salt.
- Add water and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Now add in the chopped greens and boil for 4 to 5 minutes until it wilts and gets soft.
- Simmer to desired consistency and switch off.
Soak toor dal for 15 minutes and pressure cook with 2 cups of water for 3 to 4 whistles. Once done, mash well and keep aside.
Heat oil in a sauce pan and temper with dry red chilli, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves.
Saute chopped onions along with slit open green chilli until the onion turns transclucent.
Now add int he chopped tomatoes and cook along for few minutes.
Add in tamarind extract at this stage.
Followed by cooked toor dal, turmeric powder, sambar powder and salt. Saute for fewminutes.
Add in water to dilute and bring it to a rolling boil.
When the dal starts to boil vigorously add in chopped greens (keerai)and let it boil for few minutes.
The greens will wilt and turn soft about in 4 to 5 minutes.
When done, simmer until desired consistency and switch off!