Kara Pori Kadalai – spicy puffed rice / murmura / masala pori all with garlicky flavor! Folks coming home from school, work are like pasikuthu pasikutha 🙄 😆 what in the world can i feed them that is healthy, tasty as well as filling? This one snack which everyone like is…. this crispy, crunchy pori which is full of goodness and keeps them full until dinner! Goals achieved… make a big batch today, its so addictive!
- Puffed rice / Pori – 5 cups
- Peanuts – 1/2 cup
- Cashews – 1/4 cup
- Roasted Split gram / Pottukadalai – 1/4 cup
- Dry red Chili – 2
- Green Chilli – 2 (finely minced)
- Garlic – 6 cloves (crushed with skin on)
- Curry leaves – 15
- Asafoetida – 1/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chilli powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil – 2 teaspoon
- Ghee – 1 teaspoon
Lets see how to make this Kara Pori Kadalai…..
Heat oil and ghee in a big wide kadai…
Start roasting the peanuts and cashews over medium flame until they turn lightly brown…
Immediately add the curry leaves, dry red chilli, green chillies and garlic. Fry them along until the garlic turns crispy.. You want to cook the crushed garlic really well… almost to a brown crispy texture.
Partially cooked garlic can make the pori go soft releasing water… you don’t want that! 🙄 better roast a little longer 🙂
When done, add roasted gram, turmeric powder, asafoetida, red chili powder and salt… fry along with the nuts over very low flame.
Keep roasting until the masala powders coat well.
Finally add the puffed rice (pori) and mix along… keep mixing everything to coat the masala all over the pori. Slow flame is a must, keep tossing now and then! Adjust for salt… if needed and keep roasting over low flame for next 10 minutes.
Switch and cool completely!
Now, its ready to attack!
- Makes about 7 cups after all that mixing..
- Garlic is optional, we always like garlic in our food… you may avoid if you don’t prefer.
- Cashews are normally not added…but its just a personal choice, our folks at home like with it, hence including.