How to roast the Perfect Whole Chicken?? Indian Style! There is nothing simpler than roast chicken. A few simple ingredients and a couple of hours to spare -you have a perfect juicy roasted chicken on your table. We always make roast chicken during holiday times especially thanksgiving and christmas.. do a little variation every time. Make it the western way with just salt, pepper and fresh herbs or go spicy Indian style.
Today I will be sharing a fusion recipe which is not too spicy nor too mild but just the right way you want your chicken…. feel free to play with the ingredients and spice it up with more chilli rub to make it extra spicy! Here is the recipe for lemony, peppery, spicy & juicy roast chicken for the holidays! Happy Holidays!
Some Chicken recipes to try..
Table – 1 (ingredients for rub / marinade)
- Whole Chicken (with skin) 1 (about 3 pounds or 2 kg approx)
- Oil or butter (if using butter lightly melt) 1/2 cup
- Garlic cloves 8 crushed
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chili powder 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper powder (freshly crushed) 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice 4 tablespoons
- Salt (kosher coarse salt / kallu uppu) 2 teaspoons
Table -2 (cooking utensils, pans, ingredients for decorations)
- Roasting pan / rack / tray or any oven proof dish 1
- Twine (preferably oven proof kitchen thread) 6 inches
- Lemon (sliced horizontally or wedges) 2
- Garlic cloves 6 Onion (cut into big quarters) 2
- Carrots (cut into big pieces) 1
- Cauliflower 1 cup
- Celery sticks (for flavor ) (optional) 3
- Potatoes (red or yellow) (quartered) 3
- Curly parsley / or any herb of choice (rosemary, thyme) for decoration few
Lets see How to roast the Perfect Whole Chicken….
To clean the chicken – Pick a whole chicken roughly about 3 or 3 & 1/2 pounds. If its frozen then completely thaw the chicken. Remove all the giblets from inside the cavity and discard. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel or any kitchen towel. Absorb all the liquid inside out the cavity, all the liquid should be completely wiped and chicken should be dry.
To rub the chicken – In a bowl combine oil /butter, turmeric powder, chili powder, black pepper powder, crushed garlic, lemon juice and salt. Mix well and rub this all over the chicken, inside out. Massage the chicken with as much as possible, be generous and apply the paste inside the cavity & under the skin. If you wish you can rest the chicken with marinade for couple of hours in the refrigerator. Let it soak well (this is optional if you have enough time) otherwise proceed. Marinating helps the chicken to absorb more flavor and helps to tenderize.
Start the oven – Preheat the oven to 425 F and keep it ready.
For the vegetable bed – Place the chicken in a roasting pan breast side up.(a rack will help the heat spread evenly), tie a the legs together with a twine. Make little cuts on top of the chicken skin and insert whole garlic cloves. Apply the left over marinade.. so it can penetrate inside. Place lemon wedge inside the cavity and under the thighs and legs. Insert fresh herbs inside the cavity for more aroma and flavor. Place the cut vegetable around the chicken or if you don’t have a roasting rack then place the chicken over the veggies which acts like a bed.
To roast the chicken – Place the chicken in the middle rack of the oven and roast for a total of 1 hour and 30 minutes. Let the chicken cook undisturbed for the first 1 hour then remove it from oven and baste with some of its juice which runs on the pan. Using a brush baste with some more melted butter and keep basting with the chicken juice. Put it back in the oven and cook for another 30 minutes. When done, the chicken skin should be deep golden (as shown in the picture) and the juice should be sizzling. Skin should be deep golden brown and juices should be sizzling. Once done switch off the oven and get the chicken out of the oven and transfer it to a serving tray or dish. Let it rest for few minutes.
For decoration– Place cut lemon wedges and sliced onion and fresh herbs around and serve.
- Cooking time varies with the size and weight of the chicken. The above time is for a 3-3 &1/2 pound chicken.
- Never cook frozen chicken directly- always thaw completely and then proceed.
- Adjust spice level depending on your preference. Feel free to add additional 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder and more spicy chicken.
- Try to use kosher coarse salt / rock salt / kallu uppu for marinating which gives natural flavor.
- Use freshly ground black pepper powder for a good peppery punch.
- Covering the chicken with foil will help to retain the juice and cut down on the cooking time but doesn’t brown or turn crispy as shown. Open cooking giving golden crispy outer layer.
- Veggies are mainly added to act as a bed for the chicken and to add extra flavor. They may char a bit while roasting. If you like your veggies crisp and colorful then roast the chicken plain and add the veggies after an hour around mid-way so they cook perfectly.
- The recipe and tips adapted from thekitchn which was very helpful.
ROAST CHICKEN RECIPE / HOW TO ROAST PERFECT WHOLE CHICKEN? / INDIAN STYLE SPCIY ROAST CHICKEN RECIPE / SPICY ROAST CHICKEN RECIPE / JUICY ROAST CHICKEN / DESI ROAST CHICKEN RECIPE / PERFECT ROAST CHICKEN RECIPE EVER / LEMON PEPPER ROAST CHICKEN / HOLIDAY RECIPES / THANKSGIVING RECIPES / CHRISTMAS RECIPES / JUICY CHICKEN RECIPE / BAKED CHICKEN RECIPE / INDIAN STYLE BAKED CHICKEN