This mouth watering thokku can be used along with rice or could be used as a side dish for dosa, idli or chapathi.
I learnt this awesome receipe from one of my friends. The green used could be any variety ranging from arai keerai to pasalai keerai / gonkura.
Green leaves – 1 Bunch
Tamarind – Size of a small lemon to make thick paste
Garlic – 8-10 pieces
Big onions – 2 (finely chopped)
Mustard – to saute
Chilli powder – to taste
Salt – to taste
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – for sauting
1. Cut green leaves and wash in water for 2-3 times. Cook them in a vessel without adding water.
2. Once half cooked, make thick paste of tamarind and pour it to the boiling green leaves.
3. Parallely, heat a pan with oil and add mustard. Saute and add garlic.
4. Once garlic is cooked a bit, add onion and saute until brown.
5. Add turmeric powder and then add chilli powder and salt.
6. When the green leaves + tamarind has cooked 3/4th, add them to the above sauted onion, garlic mixture and cook until it thickens.
7. Add more oil and let the dish cook for a long time in low flame, for it to be stored for about a week.