EggPuffs – Mutta Puffs – Keral Egg Puffs Recipe – How to make easy egg puffs – Muttai Puff Recipe – is a crispy evening snack made by baking pastry sheets filled with spicy egg filling. Being a chennaite …have enjoyed quite a few of these during my school days, its customary for the local bakeries to sell them during evening hours…tempt all those after school kids / work crowd… colloquially referred as “mutta puffs” or to be very honest its pronounced as “mutta pupps” in typical madras bhasha… enjoyed by many with a cup of suda suda (hot) tea or coffee!
- 4 square Puff Pastry sheets each about 4 x 4 inch
- 2 each Hard Boiled eggs cut into half
- 3 teaspoon Oil
- 1/2 cup Onion thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Ginger julienned
- 1 teaspoon Garlic julienned
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder hot
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper powder
- 1/2 teapoon Salt
- 2 tablespoon Water for brushing & sealing
- Thaw the frozen puff pastry sheets.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a pan and saute onions, ginger and garlic until it becomes lightly soft.
- Add in turmeric powder, red chilli powder,black pepper powder and salt.
- Fry till the masala gets crispy a bit and switch off to cool completely.
- Pre heat oven to 400F
- Place each puff pastry sheet in an oven proof tray. Divide the onion mixture into 4 equal parts and place them in each sheet.
- Place the egg on top with cut side facing down and seal applying little water.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the pastry turns golden crisp.
- Once down, rest it for 5 minutes in the tray and then carefully remove.Serve hot with choice of sauce and a cup of tea!
To start with.. thaw the puff pastry sheet… i got the Kawan Brand pre cut square puff pastry sheets from Indian stores (they are usually in the frozen aisle)
Normally take 30 minutes to come to room temperature… meanwhile we can make the stuffing.
Heat oil in a pan, saute onion,ginger and garlic until it turns soft a bit.
Add in turmeric powder, red chilli powder, black pepper powder and salt and saute until they turn lightly crisp. Switch off and let it cool a bit.
Meanwhile pre heat the oven to 400F
Arrange the thawed square puff pastry sheets in an oven proof tray as as shown. Divide the sauteed onion mix into four equal parts and place on top the sheets. Place half cut hard boiled egg with cut side down.
Seal the corners by applying little water as shown. (Please make sure you seal it right orelse there are chances of the pastry opening up while baking and eggs may burst in your oven. OR to be on safe side, place the sealed side down and bake)
Brush some more water on top.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden.
(i have used my convection setting in my microwave.. and baked in it) baking time may vary with the oven and also follow the pastry dough instruction as each brand varies.
When down,let rest in the pan to cool for 5 minutes and then carefully remove from pan and serve hot with a cup of tea!