This recipe is simple and quick…minimum ingredients but tastes good…use only dried anchovies or dried herrings for this recipe…i learnt this delicious dish from my mom..i hope you enjoy the dish as much as i do 🙂
1. Remove the head, Wash the dried fish and soak it in warm water for 15 mins…break the pieces into 2 and keep aside..
2. Heat a heavy bottomed kadai and pour oil into it and once hot add shallots, garlic and green chillies and fry till they are nicely golden brown..take care not to burn the onion and garlic but they need to get nice brown color for a tasty thokku
3. Then add the dried fish and saute for 3-4 mins
4. Add tomatoes, chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt.
5. Mix well and stir for around 3 mins
6. Sprinkle some water for the anchovies to get cooked and cover and cook on medium heat till the oil floats on the top and the fish is cooked well…
Serve this yummy dish with curd rice,dosa,idly or it can even be mixed with rice.
Use more oil and only gingelly oil for the real taste…do not add pepper powder as it may change the taste…use equal amount of dried fish and shallots to get better taste…